Updated January30, 2017
Post Docoral Fellowship - Sport Biomechanics, University of Calgary
Area: Sport Biomechanics
Duration: One year – second year renewable
Start date: Immediately
The Faculty of Kinesiology at the University of Calgary is accepting applications for a Postdoctoral Fellow in Sport Biomechanics in the Human Performance Laboratory.
The primary focus of the work will be research and innovation related to athletic equipment. The successful applicant will be involved in various projects related to:
- developing innovative products in the sporting goods and health/wellness industries
- designing systems related to athletic equipment and performance
- testing prototypes to assess changes in behavior or performance
- providing general design recommendations based on results of exploratory research, development, and prototype testing.
Additional roles include leadership and active participation in project management activities including the administration of research projects, as well as some supervision of students.
- PhD or equivalent in Engineering or Biomechanics
- Expertise in human movement biomechanics research and strong technical experience in kinematic and kinetic data collection systems
- Experience with Matlab and a working knowledge of Solid Works, CAD and FEM programs
- Evidence of innovation
- High level of effective organizational, time and personal initiative skills, teamwork, accuracy and strong attention to detail
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a curriculum vitae, a 1-page research/innovation statement and three references by email to:email@example.com
Full details are available here
Updated January 25, 2017
Biomechanics Research Scientist
Who We Are:
Brooks is a team of passionate people united by a desire to do meaningful work, lead healthy lives and make a difference. We share a focusedmission: to inspire everyone to run and be active. That’s it. No distractions—it’s all about the run. Through science, creativity, service, authenticity and connection, we obsess over delivering the best running gear on the planet. We do it our way, with our unique spirit, with a goalof being more relevant to runners than any other brand, day after day and mile after mile. We are determined to innovate, challenging ourselves to lead thought at every turn. Inside these walls and on the roads, tracks and trails, we live and breathe Run Happy, celebrating the positive impact running has on our lives and others. We inject it into all we do because it makes everything better, smarter, more fun and more memorable. Our company culture defines us, bonds us together and creates the conditions for success. It is lived daily as a behavioral expression of our collective set of brand values: Serve People, Lead Thought, Play As a Team, Compete Every Day, Demonstrate Integrity, Have Fun and Be Active. If you’re on our team, it means you’re part of creating something extraordinary. You’re part of Brooks.
As our Biomechanics Research Scientist, you’ll carry out the research and development of our footwear and apparel products, executing research projects to develop the best in class product in regards to performance, fit, comfort and injury prevention. You will act as a creative scientist, providing the capabilities to question methods, results and applications, and think outside the box to find creative and innovative solutions that will advance our current state of art running uniform. You will be a resident expert of all the biomechanical and mechanical testing done in our state of the art Human Perfomance Lab, and continuously look at improving the labs abilities by bringing online new equipment and protocols. You will lead projects that will require collaborative work with the innovation, design, development, and merchandising teams to bring to life relevant consumer insights and integrate them into our product line, to provide running products that are desired by our customers.
- Teach and explain biomechanical principles in relation to our product line. Educate internal and external stakeholders in Brooks point of view regarding biomechanics. This includes lower extremity anatomy, physiology and biomechanics of running/walking, along with howour products and technologies interact with these concepts.
- Explore new innovative ideas and develop unique creative research studies that will enhance our products in regards to performance, fit, comfort and injury prevention.
- Be responsible for reporting new and innovative biomechanical concepts and findings of the projects you lead. Teach and advocate the new findings to provide guidance and direct the design, development and innovation teams.
- Lead biomechanical projects that are cross departmental including innovation, design, development and merchandising teams to evolve new, unique and innovative concepts to our product line.
- Oversee all biomechanical lab testing (3D motion analysis, high speed video, plantar pressure systems) including subject preparation, data collection, data analysis and development of reports using MS Ofiice Suite software, providing hands on support when necessary.
- Oversee mechanical lab testing of polymeric materials, components, and product (shoes and apparel), providing hands on support when necessary.
- Improve current test methods and to look at new procedures or analysis to further our understanding of biomechanics in regards to running products. This will involve the ability to write simple programs and analysis techniques to look at data in a new way to further our understandings, bring online new modeling techniques and processes to enhance our capabilities, and provide statistical understanding of the data.
- Responsible for biomechanical test method training of lab interns and mentoring to Biomechanics Research Specialists.
- M.Sc. in Biomechanics, or related field including Engineering, Kinesiology, Physiology, Exercise Science, Human Factors, or Ergonomics plus 2-4 years of relevant work experience.
- 5+ years experience in leiu of a graduate degree.
- Posess a thorough understanding of anatomy, physiology, biomechanics of running, biomechanical principles and experimental design and statistical methods.
- Expert knowledge of performance and injury mechanisms for running.
- Significant experience in writing programs to analyze biomechanical data is stongly preferred (matlab, visual 3D, Labview, C/C++)
- Advanced knowledge and experience in use of biomechanics systems for analyzing running/walking gait (3D mocap systems (Motion Analysis, Vicon, Qualysis), Visual 3D, plantar pressure systems (Novel, Tekscan))
- Participated as a key team member of a research project in a relevant industry.
- Experience running and leading focused research projects of performance footwear and/or apparel.
- Demonstrated experience being a creative scientist and to apply insights to performance, fit, comfort and injury prevention to our running products.
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative and thought leadership while advocating creative new solutions within a cross functional team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills that inspire and build trust resulting in effective working relationships across the company.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating effective listening through concise, clear verbal and written communication.
- Computer proficiency with office software; MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
- Demonstration of innovation and initiative – always looking at improving our products and processes while also displaying a willingness to dive into the details and help out wherever necessary.
- Passionate participation in Brooks’ sports activities a plus, overridden by the ability to understand and empathize with the runner in order to develop loyal, engaging relationships with our customers and the Brooks community.
- Embraces and lives the Brooks values!
Brooks Sports, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and our policy is to maintain employment practices that conform to the intent and letter of the laws regarding equal employment opportunity. Brooks is committed to affording equal employment opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual preference, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local laws or regulations. This commitment applies to all phases of the recruitment process including hiring, selection, promotions, transfers, demotions, compensation, benefits, or training. Brooks will endeavor to make reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with known disabilities, unless doing so would result in an undue business hardship or a direct threat to the health or safety of any individual.
For additional information or to apply, please visit the Brooks website.